Impact on Caregivers
By Medha Saraiya
Parents and guardians are informal caregivers. They tend to their child’s every need and continuously advocate for them. This is a full time role that parents, and caregivers take on. Caregiver burnout is real and it’s important to understand its impact.
Here are some of the signs of caregiver burnout:
- Feeling tired often
- Feeling numb or developing an uncaring, negative attitude
- Feeling overwhelmed or constantly worried
- Social withdrawal
- Loss of interest in favorite activities
- Frequent illness, headaches, chronic pain, or other physical symptoms
- Difficulty concentrating
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Changes in appetite and/or weight
Remember, you need to take care of yourself in order to take care of others. Next week I will share some tips on how to manage the stress and mitigate burnout. Take care!